Labels

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Training for my Run - Initial Reflection


Training for my Run 
with GOTR
Sometimes you just have a good feeling about something.  I have a great feeling about Girls on the Run Central Kentucky (GOTR for short).  When we received the email Monday morning saying that we could not start our service until October, I was surprised by how disappointed I was.  We were initially scheduled to start our service last Monday, but we were notified the morning of that our specific school, Seton Catholic School, required additional training we had not yet completed.  The next training session that fits into my schedule is not until September 29th.  Although this is a disappointment, it gives me more time to reflect on what this organization is all about before I begin to work with the bright young girls participating in it.  My run with GOTR is already beginning.

Photo found on Twitter: @GOTRI 
Girls on the Run is a non-profit organization that works with girls ranging from 3rd to 8th grade. Their mission is one that I hope and strive to reflect with my work. Their mission is “to inspire girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running.”  Through the program the girls are trained for a 5K and given lessons on being independent thinkers, problem solvers, and healthy individuals – but why running?  I questioned this myself.  Going through the GOTR website, the reason became clear to me.  Running is used to “inspire and motivate girls, encourage lifelong health and fitness, and build confidence through accomplishment.”

Photo found on Twitter: @GOTRI 
 Girls on the Run is an international organization that reaches out to 200+ locations that each hold the same mission and dedication to making these young girls the best they can possibly be.  This organization excites me.  It’s far reach and positive impact on young girls are things that I want to be a part of.  Once I begin my work, I will be serving as a “running buddy”.  I will exercise with the girls and help lead a lesson at each meeting.  The lessons range from positive thinking to respect for others to goal setting and achieving.  These are important lessons for girls of all ages, both theirs and mine.  Growing up as a girl can be tough.  It’s not always easy to believe in yourself at that age or at any.  I’d like to make a positive impact on the girls lives, rather it be as a role model or just someone that brightened their day. I hope to learn more about each girl individually.  Just their participation in the program, I know they are girls who are driven and want the best life they can have even if it is not easy for them.  I am excited to see where this run, this journey, takes me.


No comments:

Post a Comment