 |
| From GOTR Facebook Page |
Girls on the Run Central Kentucky (GOTR) is an organization that is dedicated to giving girls confidence, by teaching them that they can do whatever it is they set their minds to. GOTR’s mission is so simple, yet so elaborate and rewarding. They believe: "every girl can embrace who she is, can define who she wants to be, can rise to any challenge, can change the world."
Teaching self-confidence at a young age is so important. Being a girl is sometimes difficult. A lot of the time, we are told we can’t do things or that we don’t deserve to do them. I struggle with self-confidence now; I always have. I know how hard it is, and working with this amazing organization will no-doubt help me to grow...as I help other young girls grow. Knowing that I can help a young girl in some way will be such a rewarding experience for me.
 |
| From GOTR Facebook Page |
At GOTR, we will be working with 3rd to 8th graders at Seton Catholic School. One of the things I am most excited about is building relationships with the girls we are working with. At each meeting, we give prepared lessons and help them exercise in fun ways--eventually leading up to a full 5K. Throughout high school, I did a lot of service. I worked at the food bank and at a daycare for low-income families. Meeting people and getting to know them made service meaningful and powerful.
Last week, my group and I were supposed to start with GOTR. We went to a short orientation meeting beforehand and expected to start the following Wednesday. However, that morning we were all notified that we would have to get Virtus training before we began because we would be at a Catholic school. I was disappointed but I understand why they think this training is so crucial.
 |
| From GOTR Facebook Page |
GOTR began in 1996 in North Carolina and since then has spread throughout the nation. They have over 200 locations. I’m from Chicago, and I know that GOTR has a program there too. It’s amazing how far and wide their message is spread, and I am truly honored to be able to work them
No comments:
Post a Comment