"Who run the world? Girls!" -Beyonce
Once again, Beyonce could not be more right - and now, thanks to my CIS 112 class, I get the opportunity to help. This year, I will be working with Girls on the Run (GOTR) at Seton Catholic School. Aimed specifically for girls in third through eighth grades, GOTR focuses on encouraging confidence, self-discovery, and healthy lifestyles through the integration of running. They "envision a world where every girl knows and activates her limitless potential and is free to boldly pursue her dreams." I have been reflecting on this for many days now, and I have grown to love the mission of this organization. Every girl deserves to know she is valuable. If there is one thing I want to do over the course of this service learning project, it's make it clear to these young girls that they are capable of anything they set their minds to.
The first few weeks are spent discussing
beliefs, challenges, and values with the girls.
The program creatively incorporates running, strength, and conditioning
activities to physically and emotionally help the participants. Throughout the course of GOTR, girls of all
ages find things they love about themselves and the confidence they need to
persevere. At the end, they showcase their success in a Girls on the Run 5k, which acts as the final step
to the program to give the girls a sense of pride in their accomplishments.
Specifically, I will be a "running buddy" for the girls. Each day begins with a short lesson, and my group gets the chance to teach some of these lessons to the girls. We will be initiating discussions, conducting activities, and then leading stretches and an exercise warm-up. Then, we will run with the girls and encourage them to keep going. Although we have not been able to go to Seton yet because we must complete a Virtus training next week, I am ecstatic to go in October. I can't wait to get started!
I
was excited to work with GOTR because my neighbor participated when she was in
sixth grade, and she always had wonderful things to say about what she was
learning. She always came home thrilled to tell me what she had just discussed or the new stretches she had learned. I am a cross country runner myself, so this will be a perfect opportunity to combine my passion for working with children with my passion for running. I love advocating exercise and healthy living, and this will allow me to be a support system to girls who may need someone to look up
to.
Perhaps the most rewarding moment of all will be on the GOTR 5k race day, when I will be finishing the race alongside girls who I have watched grow each week; they'll be able to give me their biggest, proudest smile and say, "I did it!"


No comments:
Post a Comment