
My excitement to serve this week is through the roof! On Monday, we will be teaching the girls
about cooperation. I think this is very
fitting for our opening lesson with the girls.
Cooperation has been important in our journey thus Things have not run exactly smoothly, but
everyone has pulled together. No one has
complained, and it is finally all going to pay off when we meet those amazing
little ladies! Reading over the lesson
we will be presenting on Monday, two points stood out to me: respect and
diversity. Respect goes a long way when
you are working with a group. Everyone
is going to have different opinions and values, and that is okay! Diversity can seem like a challenge in
cooperative group activities, but once you dive in and really begin to work
together, you will realize that diversity is what drives and enhances the ideas
that will solve your problem or achieve your goal. For this to work, however, respect is KEY! Without it, nothing will get done. Creative and innovative ideas will not be
heard for fear of disrespect. Group work
should provoke a positive environment, not a negative one! As a group, we will be working together,
cooperating, to get this point across to the girls through team-building games
and exercises.
We are coming into the girls’ journey through the program
about halfway through. I am confident
that they have grown in the past weeks, but there is always room to grow. I am excited to have the opportunity to be a
part of that growth. I would not be
surprised if I too walk (or run) away from this program having grown
myself. My anticipation is
overflowing. It is almost time to
start! On your marks! Get ready! Get set! GO!

The message of your lesson that everyone needs to be respected is extremely important. The part about some ideas remaining hidden because people may fear ridicule or disrespect can be instrumental in cooperation. Introverted people usually have a harder time sharing ideas due to this reason, and the perspectives of those that are more content to watch and observe can provide insights that may be missed by extroverts. both of these perspectives are needed for cooperation. I'm curious as to whether the group of children you're working with leans toward being introverted or extroverted, and how that affects the dynamics of their cooperation.
ReplyDeleteNoah Gochnauer
Thank you, Noah! I agree – these things are vital to successful group work. I’ve noticed a good mixture of extroverts and introverts in the group of girls we work with. When we ask questions or for volunteers, it can feel like the same five girls step up. When everyone is required to respond, however, many girls who never raise their hands have some of the most insightful responses. Overall, they work together very well. When the more introverted girls do speak, everyone supports them. I think that support is what really makes the dynamics of the group work so well.
Delete