Pacing Yourself!
It's pretty amazing to see what kids can do these days. They are brilliant. They are mature. I listen and conversate with the girls at GOTR and find myself learning from their insights. A common theme amongst the girls is pacing yourself. "Energy Awards" are even given for the task. The importance of pacing yourself, however, goes FAR beyond running.
This concept was taught to me at Girls on the Run. I go there twice a week to teach the children, but they are continuously teaching me. That is half of what service is about. It is about helping others, but it is also about changing yourself for the better. If you ever have doubts about service, consider the rewards. I have never gone into a service opportunity and not ended up a more insightful, empathetic person.
![]() |
| Girls on the Run: Seton School |

It seems that the work you are doing with GOTR is really having an impact on your personal life. Have you noticed a change in any of the girls that you have been working with since you began the service? If so, what kind of changes have you observed?
ReplyDeleteThanks, Braxton! It has certainly made a big impact on my experience at UK and with life in general. As for changes in the girls, I have definitely seen development. They are really absorbing the material and bettering themselves through it. After all, that is the entire point of Girls on the Run. Just this past Monday, I ran with a girl that before always stopped to walk during every lap. That day, however, she told me she was going to run the whole time because she wanted to better herself! Moments like that make the entire experience even more rewarding.
ReplyDelete