Labels

Friday, November 20, 2015

Milestones - Kylie Russ Written Reflection 3

Girls on the Run is coming to an end, and it's incredibly bittersweet.  I am sad that it has to end, but I know that the girls are now fully prepared to not only take on the 5k race tomorrow (which I can't believe is already here!), but also to take on any issue that comes their way. They are such amazing young ladies with great potential.  I have gone to 10 practices, and each time I am blown away with their ambition to learn, work hard, and do their best. 

The girls have accomplished a lot in these past few weeks, including a practice 5k, our final lesson, and a bake sale.  Back on November 2nd, we ran with the girls the entire 3.2 miles. I don't know how many of you have ever ran 3.2 miles before, but it's a very exhausting task! I was so proud of the 2 girls I ran with because each lap we ran, they had such a positive attitude.  Even when they wanted to stop and walk, we would set goals for ourselves because they were so motivated to give it their all. We said things like, "Okay, at that tree we'll start running again, and we'll run until the next lap!" I didn't even have to be the one to encourage them - they cheered for each person we saw.  I could really tell how close of a bond the girls had formed with each other.

Our final lesson also showed me how genuine and loving each girl is. The lesson was called the "Love Chair", and each person got a chance to sit in it.  The girls would then run up to the person in the Love Chair and say one thing they love about that person.  I was touched by some of the positive things the girls were saying about each other.  I loved that the words - such as sweet, helpful, brave, fast, hard-working, funny, caring, and loyal - made each girl know that they were valued by their peers.

Another great milestone (no pun intended) for GOTR was the bake sale that we had last Monday, November 16.  The girls had brainstormed ways that they could help out the community, and unanimously decided on doing a bake sale to raise money for the Lexington Humane Society. They put up signs around the school, spoke on the morning announcements, and talked to their friends about the bake sale.  When the day came, every GOTR family brought in cookies, brownies, and chocolate-covered pretzels! So of course, I had to pitch in some money and get some treats myself!

I had the job of counting up all the money afterwards. In a span of 20 minutes after school, we raised $231.85 for the Humane Society. WOW!



I can't believe that tomorrow is the ultimate wrap up for Girls on the Run, but I am so overjoyed by how this season has gone.  I've seen the girls' hearts grow each time, and I am so proud of everything that they have accomplished.  Tomorrow will be bittersweet, but it will be a great last day of achievements.

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a great experience working with those girls.I also think that it's very cool that they were able to raise that much money in such a short amount of time. Do you have a memory from working there that is especially meaningful to you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Cassadi, it truly was a wonderful experience! Every day was a new adventure with them, but perhaps the most meaningful moment for me was when we finally finished the 5k race. I ran with a girl named Delaney who is not particularly athletic, but is very determined. She worked so hard during the race and gave it her everything. Right after we crossed the finish line together, we threw up our hands in celebration. She gave me a big hug and said, "We did it!" It was an amazing feeling to see her so excited, and I was so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each of the girls in your group seems to have had an awesome experience with Girls on the Run, and you've seemed to have an awesome impact on the younger girls!! What do you think the biggest thing you'll take away from this experience is?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true, Kalee! It was truly amazing to see their smiling faces when they were running (because let's be honest - who gets excited to run!?) I think that the biggest take-away for me is the reminder never to take things for granted. These girls appreciate the simple joys in life. Anything from a tiny bracelet after completing a lap to an encouraging "great work!" can make their days better. I think that this is something that everyone should try to do: be thankful for the little things in life. They live a life full of joy, and that's exactly what I want to do too!

    ReplyDelete