Labels

Friday, November 20, 2015

It's Almost Over! - Written Reflection 3, Parker Michel

Our work with Girls on the Run is coming to an end. So far, I've done about 9 hours. We have one more meeting...a celebration for the girls on November 30th and I am so excited to see them post 5K! We've spent the last weeks prepping them for the 5K. They did a mock 5K about 2 weeks ago and they did so well! I loved seeing how accomplished they felt after running the whole distance. After the 5K this weekend at Keeneland, the girls will be done for season, but I hope they continue to run for fun with their friends! Although I am somewhat relieved to get Mondays and Wednesdays back, I am sad that we won’t be seeing any of the girls for a while. Each week, I feel like we make a little more progress with them and I really am so excited to hear about how they do in the 5K. I'm sad that I won't be able to go but I know that I’ll hear a lot about it from Alli, Kylie, Chandler, and Katie.
From GOTR of Illinois


Girls on the Run has proven to be such a fun and rewarding experience, and I am so happy that I got the opportunity to work with GOTR. When we did the practice 5K a couple weeks ago, I was so inspired by how hard the girls worked. Each and every single one of them did the best they could, and they were so proud of themselves at the end. Sure, they complained and groaned--who wouldn't? But it was obvious that they were happy to have done it. One girl, Katherine, talked to me afterwards. She said she was disappointed because she came in last. It made me so sad. We've been working this whole time to teach them that it doesn't matter how fast they run, or who finished before them. All that matters is that they've worked hard and done their best. I tried to explain this to Katherine, and it seemed to put her at ease.



The girls!! 

The next time we met, I ran a little with Katherine. Again, I could see she was comparing herself to other people who were running past her. Katherine and her friend, Olivia, ran together the whole time, and Olivia continuously encouraged her to keep on keeping on. Katherine got her laps done, and Olivia stayed with her. It made me so happy to see that Katherine kept on going, even when she didn't want to.


The girls have made so much progress, and I am so proud of them. I can't wait to see them after their 5K!

7 comments:

  1. That's amazing! How old are these girls your running with? I'd say that you've made a lot of progress too! I know as a college student that I don't get hardly any of the exercise I'm used to. I don't think I could run a mile let alone a 5K. Do you plan on volunteering in the spring?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Morgan! Thank you so much for reading and commenting!! To be honest, I don't even know if I'd be able to the whole 5K. It's so much work but I can definitely say I've made progress!! GOTR has been a push to work out...I know I hate going all the way to the JC so GOTR is a nice alternative!! I'm not really sure if GOTR happens in the spring...but I'd like to get involved again next fall!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome! The part about Olivia running with Katherine really warmed my heart. Are you sad that your time with the GOTR is almost over? Would you recommend others to serve in this organization?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sad it's almost over but I hope to possibly work with them next fall!! I would definitely recommend it! I think you would like it too...it's a fun way to work with young girls and it gets them and us active!! You're always welcome to come with me anytime if I volunteer in the fall!

      Delete
  4. I am so sad that it is almost over! What are you going to miss most about Girls on the Run?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Parker! What has been your favorite part about Girls on the Run? Would you consider continuing to work with the organization?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lyndsee! So far I've just really liked talking to the girls and getting to know them! If I time in my schedule next fall, I'd love to work with them again!!

    ReplyDelete